I realize that in opening this can-o-worms up for comments I’m gonna get flooded with advice here. That’s okay. I look forward to sifting through all of it with my hubby and deciding what’s right for us.
As a potential adoptive (eventually) mommy I’ve been thinking a lot about the STUFF that everybody buys to go along with their baby. So I’ve made a list of the things I think are “must haves” and the things I think are not really needed.
Basically my husband and I are very anti-stuff. We figure if it doesn’t have an analogous form in Pioneer times, we don’t need it. (good article here)
But, as this will be my first time at this, I could be wrong about what’s needed and what isn’t. So I’m looking for input (from mommies and from not mommies). Here’s my lists. Despite the fact that I sound confident, I am NOT a know-it-all here. If I’m dead wrong about something, tell me, okay? Have I left something out? do I have too much stuff on the “must have” list?
My list of “must haves”
- Crib (got it already)
- Changing pad (for use anywhere)
- Diapers (we are going with disposable and cheap)
- Car seat (with extra base for grandma’s car)
- Stroller (comes with car seat. Has toddler seat for when we out-grow baby seat)
- Play-yard for travel (thank you for telling us about this Missy. It looks like it’s going to be very useful)
- Clothing (onesies mostly and a couple of sleep sacks)
- Medical & hygiene stuff (thermometer, nail clippers, baby shampoo etc)
- changing table with changing pad.
- head support/positioner for in the car seat and for sleeping
That’s pretty much it for the “must haves”.
Things I think we don’t need and you can correct me if I’m wrong:
- Baby Towels (what on earth is wrong with using regular towels?)
- Baby washcloths (again…what’s wrong with regular washcloths?)
- Baby recliner/bouncy thingy (it just looks like another item to trip over to me)
- Play blankets with baby Einstein type stuff hanging over baby’s head. (again, just seems like something to trip over to me)
- Jogger stroller (why on earth can’t I jog – I’m not fast at all- with a regular stroller? Is there a speed limit on strollers?)
things I think would be fun to have
- baby jumper (those new things that hang in doorways and let your baby bounce. that looks really cool and fun!)
- baby sling. the whole hand’s free concept seems rather cool. If they are actually stable. (any body got any feedback on this issue? ARE those sling things actaully stable?)
I look forward to reading what you, my hundreds tens of readers have to say about this. Oh, one other thing, I promise to treat all respectful opinions with respect. So no flames, okay?
Let the comments begin!